Get ready for the growing season
April 3rd, 2021
Itching to get out and work in the yard? Planting time really is just around the corner. While you wait until the threat of freeze is over, there are plenty of ways to prepare for the growing season.
To be effective and efficient in the yard, you need the right tools and tools in good condition. Take stock of the shovels, rakes, weeding tools and pruners that are stashed in the garage or shed.
Do DIY repairs and schedule services for the tasks you won't do yourself:
- On metal surfaces of shovels and other tools, remove rust with steel wool and apply WD-40.
- Replace broken handles on shovels and rakes.
- Sharpen blades on pruners and also the lawnmower.
- Schedule the spring tune-up for the lawnmower. You'll want it to be ready to roll and not waiting in line when it's time for the first mow of the season.
- Schedule spring lawn aeration and sprinkler system activation now, as schedules fill up quickly.
Finally, resist the urge to plant too early. Colorado could still see a freeze in the next six weeks, so be patient in order to give your new plants the best chance at thriving in your landscape.